Try this Retro Oreo Dessert at your next summer party! It’s a decadent dessert with crushed Oreo cookies and a rich layer of chocolate pudding nestled between layers of creamy filling. My vintage recipe inspiration came from my grandma who always made this for our family reunion and summer gatherings.
I took my vintage inspired recipe and baked it modern by:
- Added homemade vanilla to both the pudding and cream layer
- Used all-natural cook-n-serve pudding instead of instant pudding containing artificial flavor
- Used whole milk to make the pudding
- Made it with real, full-fat cream cheese
Baker’s tips for Retro Oreo Dessert:
Use full-fat, block cream cheese:
For the best all natural taste and texture, use full fat cream cheese sold in the brick. Do not use cream cheese in the tub which is actually a spread and has additives. Be sure to set out the block of cream cheese to give it time to come to room temperature.
Use natural chocolate pudding:
For the best all-natural taste, use cook & serve chocolate pudding since many conventional instant pudding brands contain artificial flavor. You can usually find all-natural pudding at health food stores or sometimes in the organic section of your grocery store.
Add vanilla to boost flavor:
Always use good quality all-natural, pure vanilla extract in your baking. If you purchase vanilla, be sure it only contains vanilla beans and alcohol. I make my own vanilla, which is super simple to make: Take 8 oz. of bourbon and add 5-7 vanilla beans that are spilt down the middle and let it sit for 3-6 months. As you use it replace the bourbon and add more beans. Store in dark, cool place and it can last many years. I prefer to use bourbon but you can also use vodka.
FOR MORE OF MY RETRO DESSERTS TRY: Retro Pineapple Upside Down Cake OR Vintage Lemon Squares
Retro Oreo Dessert
- 1 lb. crushed Oreo cookies family size
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter melted
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 16 oz. Cool Whip lg. container
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 5 oz. chocolate pudding lg. box
- 2 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Crush bag of Oreos. Reserve a few whole cookies for garnish the center. Reserve 1 cup of crushed Oreos for top layer.
- Make the chocolate pudding. On stove stir the milk, pudding and vanilla together. Set aside and let cool.
- Beat together the Cool Whip, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Place crushed Oreos in bowl and add melted butter. Reserve 1 cup for top layer. Press remainder in bottom layer of glass 9×13 pan.
- Reserve 1/3 of the cream mixture for the 4th layer. Spread cream layer over oreo base.
- Spread pudding layer over the cream layer.
- Spread the remainder of cream mixture over the pudding layer.
- Sprinkle remainder of crushed Oreos on top.
- Place in refrigerator. This dessert is best when made a day ahead giving it time to set properly.